i promise to work on my titles...really

why do i do this to myself?  the last time i went running with the williams i asked them to remind me not to run with them the next time i tried.  why? well, for those of you who don't know mat and leslie, they are the bionic couple.  incredibly athletic, somehow tireless, with this unnatural love of pushing themselves beyond anything close to normal limits when running. i enjoy a casual chatting pace, while they, and now their bionic dog, enjoy a pace at which the rest of humanity is left gasping like harry after his gillyweed wears off while they casually plan dinner, a solution to all of the worlds problems, and merrily dash too and fro like whimsical wood nymphs.


this afternoon i walked into the house after lunch and was greeted by mat saying, "we're headed out to run 10 miles, want to come?"  me, in my mind, "why in the hell would i want to do that to myself." me, from my mouth, "sure."  somewhere in the tenebrous journey from my mind to my mouth i think my real response was routed back and forth through an even worse version of babel fish than is present for internet use.  probably the beta version.  (if you just used the dictionary on your macbook dashboard for tenebrous...point for me.)  

mile one through 8.5ish are uninteresting, but at this point, right as my shuffle ran out of batteries, a blister the size of Willie Mackenzie's head (if you're looking...fourth one down) formed right smack dab between the ball of my foot and the big toe...basically i could no longer push off, and for kicks i could even feel the blisteryness...on second thought i'll spare you.  ergo, i ran the last mile and a half with my big toe curled under, trying not wreck my knee by throwing my stride off with a fantastic limping gait after putting it through its biggest workout since february.

in the end, i now have a huge limp inducing blister and the knowledge that i can still run 10 miles...which is not exciting enough news to warrant the blister.  i'd rather have found that i can't make it past 2 and i should just stay in and sit on the couch with a high life and a lofthouse (you don't have to work for this one) from now on.

1 comments:

  1. Nice man.

    We thought of you yesterday when we were hiking around a rock quarry. I kept telling Holly, "If Kev were here, he'd be climbing that right now."

    (She'll probably post some pics soon.)

    As for those cookies ... they are my favorite.